There are movies. And then there is Dunkirk.
Growing up, we all saw WWII movies. They celebrated Allied heroism.
Where Eagles Dare. Guns of Navarone. Casablanca. Saving Private Ryan. Tora Tora Tora. Sink The Bismarck. The Great Escape. Life is Beautiful. Imitation Game.
Dunkirk subdues the heroism and makes us see WWII from a perspective that we’ve never seen before. Some Spoilers:
- You can count the number of dialogues on your fingers.
- The music speaks volumes (you will know what I am talking about)
- The battle takes place on land, at sea and in the air
- Men with self doubt, assurance, grit and just the will to survive
- No CGI
- Oh, and Harry Styles, with different hair
Yes, this movie will be nominated for more than a few Oscars. Yes this will win a few. But, most of all, my kids will talk about this movie to their grandkids.
It’s that kinda stuff. Go watch it. Thank you, Christopher Nolan.